kernael panic even before installation

Asif Hadi yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 20:32:22 -0700

Hi everyone, this is my first time with YDL, infact newbie in linux in general. I have been trying to install YDL 2.2 on my PowerMac 5500 (MacOS 8.0, 2GB HD, 32MB RAM). I got the ydl cd set and went to the install folder and then clicked the bootx.hqx file (or sm file with similar name). It decompressed to give the bootx installer and so i click on that. The ydl image pops up and the dialogue says that it is installing bootx and after installion to restart the computer. I do that and afer restart the bootx dialogue comes up and then boots into linux. But it quits after saying:
  "Kernel Panic ...Cannot find root...cannot mount
   root fs...Rebooting in 180 seconds".
Ok next time when i boot up i look in to the bootx options and i notice that the option for ramdisk is unchecked; therefore and i choose that option manually and choose the "ramdisk-text...." file (i have 32MB ram) from the system folder. And then click the linux tab in bootx. Right then the MacOS gives an message that there was an error in the bootx extension.
I am rather clueless at the moment; please help me.

thx
Sohan

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus