New install - video problems

Jay Morgan yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 18:51:52 -0400

Hi all,

I just installed YDL 2.2 on a Umax Supermac S900 (80MB RAM, 2GB disk
for MacOS, 4GB disk for YDL, stock IMS Twin Turbo Graphics card)

Everything works OK until I run startx and get into KDE.  I get
extremely wierd color schemes (basically unreadable) and don't know
how to fix the issue.

I've repeatedly run /usr/lib/yi/dexter.py to re-configure X, but to
no avail.  When I bring up dexter, it states that video card
detection has failed, and I have to manually select a video driver.
I have tried simple, custom, and failsafe methods of configuration,
and none of the options provide a reasonable desktop.

I'm figuring that there are no drivers for this video card.  Are
there any available out there?

Any ideas on how to resolve the issue?

I know this is not an officially supported platform (its the only
machine I can dedicate to this environment), and I'm not a UNIX
newbie (Solaris management for the last 8 years).  If someone can
point me to archives for this list, I'll gladly look there too.

Jay