Power Macintosh 8100

Vinod Srinivasan yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:22:38 -0500

Hi,

I've been trying to install YDL 2.0 on my Power Mac 8100/110. I followed
the instructions on Takashi Oue's webpage. After installing all the
packages, YDL failed to detect my video card, though at the end it did
claim that installation was completed successfully.
I got a message saying "Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux", and then further
messages followed:

Mounting proc filesystem:
Configuring kernel parameters:		[OK]
modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.5/modules.dep (no such file or directory)

It then showed a text login, and  crashed before I could type.
and then the final error cited was : Fatal error: No screens found.
I tried adding the
"mach_options=video=nbpmacfb" (or ariel2fb) options in lilo.conf, but it
didn't seem to work.

I figured it was because XFree86 4.0.1 didn't support my video card, so I
tried installing YDL 1.2 2hich has an earlier version. This time it
detected the NuBus video card, and said installation was successful. When
I rebooted into Linux, it failed again, even though installation had
seemingly finished without a hitch. The last error message was:

Activating swap partitions swapon: cannot open /etc/fstab: no such file or
directory.

I do have the correct partition set up: 10MB for a bootloader, 192MB for
swap, and the rest (6+ GB)  for Linux, so I couldn't figure out what went
wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Vinod