root password

Ian Fore yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 26 May 2002 09:57:23 -0400

--B_3105251844_330729

If you have set up any of your users to be able to use sudo it effectively
allows them to become root. I believe that you could then use sudo with tha=
account to reset user passwords =AD including presumably that of root.

When you use sudo it will prompt you for a password =AD it=B9s asking for the
password of the account you are logged in as rather than root itself.

Regards

On 5/26/02 2:32 AM, "ann" <am@anmore.com.au> wrote:

> ok inadvertently and in a hurry (no way to install stuff I know) I omitte=
d to
> write down my root password (for security reasons..hah), a few months dow=
n the
> track and not having been using it, I ..cant remember it... is there anyw=
ay I
> can find out the root password as a standard user??
> =20
> regards
> =20
> anmore
>=20

--B_3105251844_330729

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: root password</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">If you have set up any of your users to be able to use=
 sudo it effectively allows them to become root. I believe that you could th=
en use sudo with that account to reset user passwords &#8211; including pres=
umably that of root.<BR>
<BR>
When you use sudo it will prompt you for a password &#8211; it&#8217;s aski=
ng for the password of the account you are logged in as rather than root its=
elf.<BR>
<BR>
Regards<BR>
<BR>
On 5/26/02 2:32 AM, &quot;ann&quot; &lt;am@anmore.com.au&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">ok inadvertently and i=
n a hurry (no way to install stuff I know) I omitted to write down my root p=
assword (for security reasons..hah), a few months down the track and not hav=
ing been using it, I ..cant remember it... is there anyway I can find out th=
e root password as a standard user??<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
regards<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
anmore<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3105251844_330729--