G3 upgrade

Matt Hanes yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 10:29:53 -0500

At 09:19 PM 11/2/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>It sounds very unlikely, but other than a bad drive or bad SCSI controller I don't know what it could be.

The only thing I haven't ruled out is a bad scsi controller. I've tried numerous SCSI number/termination/order configurations as well as different drives. I've got a spare 7600 mother board around here someplace. I'll swap it out (someday) and see if that makes a difference.

>And the only problem I have with the drive or SCSI in general is trying to install Linux.

9 out of the 10 times I see the problem is when I am trying to write data to the drive, regardless of whether it's an install, via apt-get, ftp, cp or anything else. It seems to be more likely to occur if the drive is approaching capacity.

Matt