redhat/yellowdog???

Jamie LaRue yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
06 Nov 2002 07:37:27 -0700

Welcome, fellow newbie!

I've been using YDL 2.3 on a G3 iMac for the past two months or so. No
real experience with Linux before that, although I knew a smattering of
Unix commands. A few comments on your questions.

1. rpm is a program that seeks to do precisely what worries you --
manage dependencies. Linux is Linux, generally (meaning YDL can install
Red Hat packages) -- with one big exception. Sometimes, a package is
precompiled to take advantage of the Intel processor (or a clone), OR to
take advantage of the PowerPC processor -- the one in your Mac. So don't
download rpm's for X86 machines.

Alternately, and this speaks to your third question, you can still
download the raw file (i.e. not precompiled), and follow the
instructions (inside the tar.gz file there's usually an "INSTALL" file).
This builds the program for your own computer -- hence the value of the
"development station." If you choose Home/Office, you don't get some of
the tools you need to compile programs for your system.