New Studio 17 LCD / old YDL installation / not enough colors

Merrill Aldrich yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:50:54 -0800

Hi -

I have YDL running on a Cube; my aging Applevision 17 just croaked, and I=
've=20
replaced it with a new Studio 17 LCD (SOO worth it FWIW).

I had YDL running happily on the old monitor, but switching to the new on=
e is=20
a real struggle. I have gotten this far:

1. Machine will boot by using "linux-novideo" at Yaboot command line

2. Used dexter.py to configure X

3. X will not accept more than 8bit color; Dexter.py appears not to provi=
de=20
any other working options. X will run in 8bit mode, though.

4. The two posts on the support web page related to this are not complete=
ly=20
helpful because a) I don't have xconfigurator, and b) the command=20
"/usr/sbin/ybin" does not do anything without options or parameters on my=
=20
system, and I cannot find out what those options should be.

Soooo, I am happy to be at least up and running, but I'd really like full=
=20
color if that's possible, and to boot with video.

Anyone have an XF86Config4 that works with ATI rage 128 and Studio 17 LCD=
 that
I could steal? Or other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Merrill Aldrich