General Linux questions

Russell T. Brunet yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:21:50 -0700

Jason,

I would say stick with 9.2. Only because I (unlike your father) am fairly
computer savvy, and although I have had fun tinkering with YellowDog, when
I need a reliable system, I boot into OS X. Your father-in-law will have
much less difficulty with 9.2, and I am fairly sure that if you can get
ahold of an old version of MS office (office 98 should do fine) you won't
have much speed issues with the word processor. Also he won't be zipping
around the web, but a 6400/180 with 136 mb of ram should be more than
sufficient for simple web browsing. I would stay away from YDL (or any
linux clone for that matter) only because there have been many nuances that
I have found with regards to monitor settings, and printing, etc. that are
not exactly straight forward.

Now if you know unix/linux and want to be your father-in-law's 24 hour help
line, go ahead and install it :)

Good luck,

Russell