General Linux questions

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:05:56 -0400

Hi - I am hoping that someone can offer some honest advice=2E  I am giving my inlaws my old Performa 6400/180=2E  It has 136Mb RAM and a 10Gb hard drive=2E  I have been looking at Yello Dog Linux and Mandrake Linux as two possible alternative OS's=2E =
=20

Here are the two questions I have:

1) The reason I am thinking of installing Linux is to see if it will be more efficient in running the Performa that OS 8=2E6 or OS 9=2E1=2E  The issue is that my father-in-law is not very computer-savvy=2E  What type of performance increase, if any, will Linux make for the Performa?  Is Linux easy enough for someone with little computer experience to run on a daily basis?  His only real activities are browsing the Web and word processing=
=2E

2) Looking at both the Mandrake and Yellow Dog websites, it seems as if Mandrake has more resources behind it, and possibly would be a better long-term solution=2E  However, as they provide solutions primarily for the Intel crowd, I am not sure of their dedication to the PPC platform=2E  What are the main benefits to Yello Dog Linux over Mandrake=
?

Thanks - Jason