(no subject)

Rick Sabatino yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:19:54 -0500

I'm hoping someone on the list can help me.  I decided to install
Yellow Dog Linux on a Motorola StarMax 3000/240.  At the command line,
everything appears fine.  I use BootX to load linux with "No video
driver" unchecked and the argument "video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:16"
This works fine (as does vmode:10) to run at the command line, but once
I go into XFree86, it's over.

XConfigurator detects ATY Mach64 to be the video card.  This is
correct, as the Apple "Tanzania" motherboard, on which the Starmax 3000
is based, has ATI Mach64 VT onboard graphics.

The screen displays when I load up X windows, but it is not exactly
legible.  Fonts fall victim in particular, but all images, cursors etc
appear oddly.  It appears as if the the rows on the screen are fine,
but that the even and odd columns across the screen image were swapped
around ( e.g. 2,1,4,3,6,5,8,7... ).  I went in Xconfigurator and
specified monitor settings (Magnavox MV5011, CM1300 15" Monitor )
Hsync: 30.0-54.0; Vsync: 50.0-110.0 with no change in result.

Now, I have the feeling that I'm in a little deeper than I can guess my
way out of.  I suppose I could spend the rest of my days living on the
command line, but have little interest in that.

I tried again with the same settings as before but a different monitor
plugged in (KDS Avitron 17").  Changing the monitor produced a
different result.  The column swapping appeared during boot and at the
command line, but once XFree86 was started, the column swapping
disappeared and fonts, cursors, etc appeared fine...except the colors
were random as if the map was out of wack.  This produced a result that
was only slightly less usable.

For now, that just leaves me as, if not more, frustrated than when I
began.  I only hope that added info can help to find a cure.

Would someone out there who can tell me how to make this run?

Thanks.

Rick Sabatino