Install hung at YupDBError

Ken Grunke yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 02:21:27 -0500

Been trying a couple days now getting YDL 2.2 on my PM7500/200--I'm
using the YDL 2.3 iso install disk my friend downloaded and burned for
me. I have a SCSII drive with 2.6 mb free, for YDL--and 1.7 with Mac OS
8.6 in HFS.
I can get to the package selection in the installer, choosing
Home/Office. Hit the OK button, then get an error: "Please correct this
manually".
Doing "OK" gives me a bunch of white text on blue, ending in
"YupDBError".

I'm using the 2.3  image, but I select the 2.2 kernel in BootX after
opening the CP manually while in OS 8.6, and click "save to
preferences". I then reboot, and in BootX choose "Options" and navigate
to the RAMDISK_TEXT_IMAGE.GZ which gets me into install mode. Is it
supposed to work this way, or do I have to download the 2.2 iso image? I
never even tried the 2.3 kernel, reading on this list that 2.2 is best
for this old machine.
What is "YupDBError", and how can I get around it?

Here are all the things I've done before and during installation
attempts:

*Named the Mac partition "Macintosh HD". Formatted in HFS, not HFS+.
*Removed all external SCSII devices.
*Turned off Virtual Memory, which was on by default in the fresh install
of OS 8.6. Don't know if that made any difference as far as YDL, though.

*Created a disk image of the 2.3 iso disk, just so I can get the BootX
installer and the RAMDISK_TEXT_IMAGE.GZ--which I dropped into the OS 8.6
partition to enable installation. (Those two files, and nothing else)
*On successive attempts, I learned to delete the linux partitions and
reboot into the installer before trying it again. And I tried making a
100 mb boot disk, but that didn't help.

The installer seems to go just fine, until I get to the package
selection.
This is my very first experience with linux, I'm having fun and looking
forward to getting into it, but I'm temporarily stumped. Thanks for any
help in advance.

Ken