G4 LCD-ADC Yaboot Hangs at White Screen

Jim Steed yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:13:13 -0400

Hello,

Over the weekend, I have (attempted to) install YDL 2.3 on a G4 with a 17"
"Studio Display" ADC LCD monitor.  After getting through the Linux
installation and rebooting, I get the Yaboot menu.  Selecting 'l' brings up
a white screen of death (even with text-login).  Selecting 'x' brings up a
white screen of death (Note: selecting Mac-Os after rebooting with OPTION
held down does allow me to load the Mac-Os).

My first assumption is it is due to the display.  I found the
"video=aty128fb:vmode:14" solution in the mail archives, but perhaps my
newbie status is preventing me from getting it to work.  At the boot prompt
(after selecting 'c' from Yaboot) I type "linux video=aty128fb:vmode:14" but
I get
   Please wait, loading kernel...
   linux:2,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device

Also, I also am not sure about the procedure for editing yaboot.conf (based
on other items I read in the archives) if I am indeed unable to boot Linux.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

jim