ATI 9000 Pro

McLeod, Peter (Yuetsu) yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:15:37 +1100

Hi Jim/Ryan,

Sounds like the radeon (ADV - DVI) connection is truly an unsupported
feature but I thought I'd just offer my newbie (yellow puppy) two cents
worth.  I have a rage video card I believe and had similar problems wherein
I could do the install but got a 'black' screen on trying to boot
afterwards.  I found that using the linux-novideo parameter at the yaboot
prompt got me in and then later found out I could use other boot parameters
to get much further with the gui and so forth, as described in :
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/rage.shtml.
However, it doesn't sound like you're going to get into a GUI with the
radeon card but since the install could display (in text I suppose),
linux-novideo should at least work for command line.  You probably know this
already though so if my message is not useful to you, hopefully it's cute at
least (like a yellow puppy would be if I had one).  ;)

>  Subject: ATI 9000 Pro
>  From: Ryan Shelton <RyanShelton22@mac.com>
>  To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com

>  I just purchased a brand new Dual 867 and I ordered it with the Radeon
>  9000 Pro only to find later that YDL 2.3 does not yet support any
>  monitor connections except VGA and this card only ships with an ADC and
>  a DVI port.  So my question is does anyone know when they are going to
>  add support for ADC and DVI connections?  The install worked fine on my
>  system but when it booted to YaBoot and I selected Linux I got a white
>  screen.  So with the exception of buying another PCI video card with a
>  VGA port and then buying a VGA monitor does anyone have any ideas?
>  					Thanks,
>  						Ryan
>  Hi Ryan,
>
>  I bought a Dual 1.25 GHz with the same Radeon.  After it didn't work, I
>  bought a Radeon 7000 (and carried a PC's monitor over from the other side
of
>  the lab) in hopes everything would magically work, but I am still stuck
at
>  the same white screen.  I'm currently trying to work it out with the $30
YDL
>  support service, but all their suggestions seem to have bombed so far
(only
>  a day and a half though, I tried on my own for a couple weeks before
buying
>  the support).
>
>  You could buy a PCI card and a DVIator connector, or you could wait for a
>  future release, but other than that you're basically stuck.  If you buy
the
>  software from YDL, you also get the "Tasty Morsels" cd (not downloadable
>  anywhere as far as I know); you likely can boot off of the "Tasty
Morsels"