Frozen Mouse Re-visited

tony bible yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:39:37 -0500

Problem:  after logging out, the mouse cursor is frozen when the login
screen comes up.  I can navigate with the tab key, but no mouse actions
are available

What I've done:
looked on the YDL website and mailing lists archives for newbies and
general
executed the dexter.py-accelerated video fix;  mouse still freezes
switched desktop config from KDE to GNOME;  mouse still freezes;
switched back to KDE
ran apt-get update and upgrade; mouse still freezes
tried the 2.2 kernel;  saw a couple of file error messages
(incompatibility) as booting, but it came up;  mouse still freezes;
switched back to 2.3

Possible items of interest:
On my machine, CTL-CMD-little-delete does not kill the window server;
shuts-down the Mac
CTL-CMD-big-delete kills the window server; it restarts, of course, and
then the mouse works.  This is what I'm doing for a "fix", but it seems
a bit of a kludge.  I can live with it if I must.

My configuration:
PowerMac 7300/200, 96MB Ram, YDL 2.3 (just received, and installed two
days ago) running on an external SCSI 4Gig drive (1.2G Mac partition and
remainder for Linux(128 MB swap), and Mac OS 8.6.  It has a Belkin USB
card, a Logitech 3-button wheel mouse, and Apple's latest USB support
software installed.  I've tried the original Mac mouse as well as the
3-button mouse, and the problem occurs with both of them.  The 3-button
mouse works as expected during the first login session.

SO!  Any suggestions of other things to try, or just hope a future
release fixes it?

In any event, thank you for reading all this, and for any replies.

tony

My apologies if this show up twice.  Possible error first try.