NTPD fails at shutdown?

Pat Plummer yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:13:23 -0600

On Friday, Sep 13, 2002, at 10:55 US/Mountain, Anthony Tambourino wrote:

> I've been running YDL-2.3 for a couple of months now and everytime I
> shutdown, it fails to terminate something called ntpd.  It's not that
> big of a deal, because it "kills" the process a few steps later, but
> I'd just like to know:
>
> (a) what is it?

The network time protocol daemon. It synchs your system with a
timeserver out on the net and can in turn act as a server to other
machines. Read the associated man pages on it.

> (b) why it always fails?

Maybe because it is not starting up and the shutdown script tries to
shutdown a non existent process.

> (c) any way to make it not "fail"?

Configure it correctly. Look at /etc/ntp.conf and the files in the
/etc/ntp directory and set up your reference servers. You can use
time.apple.com or any of the public timeservers -- do a google search
on public time servers or ntp. The init scrpit for ntp in /etc/init.d
will typically try to set your machine's time first with ntpdate then
start up ntpd. If it can't do this then sometimes ntpd will not start.
That may be your problem.

HTH,
Pat