VVDQ : connecting to Net

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:27:18 -0400 (EDT)

	Very Very Dumb Question, even for a newbie, I know -- but
try to find it in the manual!

	How do I connect YDL to the Internet?

	At times, I will have access to my wireless hub, which
handles a feed from my Verizon DSL line in Northern Virginia. An
Apple-fancying friend managed to get that to work with OSX; but
he's a FreeBSD man -- and anyway, we got interrupted and had to
quit, while he was still trying to get my desktop to work with the
ethernet cable out of the hub.

	Away from home, and sometimes at home, when I need to use a
different ISP, I'll also need to be able to connect over a dialup.

	This has gotta be a FAQ online somewhere -- though, if past
experience means anything, that too will have 98% odds of being
hopelessly over my head ...

	Note: last week, out of town, I did manage (with a lot of
help from a temporary ISP) to get OSX to connect; but kppp or kpppd
or whatever it's called got me into a thicket of choices -- at
least two hours of trying one combination after another -- none of
which worked, even badly. None.

	All I want is to be able to drive, and concentrate on my
driving and my destination. Why do I have to choose between a wreck
that won't go, and something that takes a past master doing
constant tinkering, just to get started??
--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Linux hatchling w/ RH, YDL, & OSX; Pine 4.43; Pan 0.11.2;