NTPD fails at shutdown?

Jon Holman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:08:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Tambourino" <anthony_t@mac.com>
To: "YDL Newbie" <yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 5:04 AM
Subject: NTPD fails at shutdown?

> I've been running YDL-2.3 for a couple of months now and everytime I
shutdown, it fails to terminate something called ntpd.  It's not that big of
a deal, because it "kills" the process a few steps later, but I'd just like
to know:

> (a) what is it?
Network Time Protocol Daemon
> (b) why it always fails?
You probably are not hooked up to a time server
> (c) any way to make it not "fail"?
At a prompt enter "ntsysv" without quotes
Scroll down and look for NTPD in the list, hit the space bar to remove it
from startup
or, Look up NTPD on Google and configure it to look for a time server.