YDL Install Fails

Ellis Skinazi yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:26:05 +0100

The YDL-2.3 install (default) requires ?1.6GB of disk space, so more than
2GB is realistic for the install, as you've noted.

If the Zip drive is on the same cable as the hard drive, and the hard drive
is "sda" under Linux, then the Zip drive is "sdb". Assuming that the HD and
the Zip are the only two drives.

You can check this in the Linux console (text screen) by typing "dmesg |
less", without the quotes, and scrolling through the text to the information
about the Zip drive. This is usually found some lines after the information
about the SCSI interface. If you have 2 x HD and the Zip, it may be "sdc".

Now for the not-so-tricky bit in the Linux console ...

Insert a Zip disk into the drive.

Try typing "pdisk -l" - that is lowercase L and no quotes - and see if the
Zip is listed. You are looking for the partition number i.e. sdb4. If no
joy, then ...

Try typing "fdisk /dev/sdb" - assuming the Zip was "sdb" and no quotes - and
then "p <enter>" at the prompt that appears (just the letter p and then
ENTER). The partition and file system type should be listed, then type "q
<enter>" to quit, having noted the partition number. On my G3 the partition
was "sdb4" and the file system type was "fat16" because it was formatted
MS-DOS.

You can then mount the drive with (in my case) "mount -t msdos /dev/sdb4
/<some-point>", and check that it mounted by typing "mount" on it's own.
Make sure that you use a valid mount point that is not already being used.

If the drive was formatted Mac, you can mount it with (example only)
"mount -t hfs /dev/sdb4 /<some-point>".

All this assumes that pdisk or fdisk found the partition as "sdb4" - use the
actual partition found by one of those utilities.

Note that you could just type "pdisk -l" without looking at "dmesg", but it
is always a good idea to look at the boot information before poking around
disk partitions.

Here are some links that might help:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/docs.html#howto

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/hardware.html#HWJAZZIP