CD-ROM / Named Issues

~ben yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:26:52 -0400

Hi all, I have a few problems, probably arising from my own lack of
knowledge. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated!

The install option I used was the Internet server option, I forget the
exact name now, and I installed it on a PowerTower Pro. Installation
went smoothly. First problem, I want to install qmain, but can't becuase
I assume the install option I chose does not install any c compiler,
because I can't find one anywhere. Ok, so I will install gcc from the
YDL cd. But I cant mount the cd from within YDL. I cd to /mnt/cdrom with
the cd in, but there are no files there at all. This cd should work, as
it is the YDL install cd, right? Does the Internet install option not
install driver for the cd? In that case, will I most likely have to
reinstall YDL (which is not a big problem, I dont have anything I really
need on it).

Secondly, I am/was using Apache to host my website (nothing big, more of
a learning expiriment in CSS/XHTML). I decided then, why not get a .com
address and expiriment with named, since I can? After a day or so, I got
named up and running. It worked great, for about a week, until it just
crapped out on me. I cannot issue rndc reload to refresh the settings,
checked named.conf/rndc.conf/and checked the key, there ok. What would
cause named to work, and then for no reason, stop? I didn't change
anything in named, let alone the whole system, for a week before named
cut out on me. So, I thought I'd reinstall named, and while I'm at it,
maybe apache2, which leads me to my first problem, I don't have a c
compiler installed, and I can't get the cd-rom to work.

Should I use a different install option? I dont really want XFree (I
won't use it and cannot get it to work with my video card), or any other
extraneous stuff. I thought about doing a base install, and then
downloading and installing named, apache, qmail, proftpd, but it doesn't
install a c compiler, and I probably still wont be able to access the cd
to install from the rpm.

I hope this makes sense, I am probably not useing the right terms here.
And sorry about the longish post, I find it hard to discuss things I am
not real familiar with.

Thanks,
Ben Baird