Fwd: Mounting USB drives; keymap

Dr. Ruediger M. Flaig yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:00:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello everyone out there,

I have a problem mounting USB drives to a YDL'ed Mac.
The drives are a standard Apple 3.5" floppy (green and
white) and an Iomega ZIP100, both of them connected to
a USB hub. This configuration was functional with both
MacOS 9 and MacOS X, but with YDL I haven't got it
made yet. I got /sbin/modprobe swallow the
"usb-storage" module (as for the built/in CD drive
which I have bz now got working), but still I do not
know the proper mounting parameters...

Hardware: Mac G4, 733 MHz, 896 MB RAM (yes indeed)
no further baubles added
Software: YDL 2.3, complete package
also no significant additions except for LyX 1.1.6 and
the EMBOSS molecular biology package :-)

Second: I am experience major problems with my
keyboard (also Apple standard USB)... tried to use
xmodmap to get a German key layout and this partly
worked, but the ALT key seems to be unavailable! I
have now remapped some necessary things such as the @
to most idiotic combinations (e.g. SHIFT-backspace)
but this cannot be a solution for good.

If anybody could point me in the direction of a
solution this would be very much appreciated...

Yours truly,
   Ruediger Flaig

=====
Yours sincerely,