Brand spankin' new to linux.

Jonathan yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:08:35 -0500

Hi Benjamin,

I also have a 7200 that I am putting YDL on.. I've just d-loaded 2.3 and a=
m going to try it as soon as I burn the disk..

I've currently got a 500mb disk and 48mb ram in my 7200... Any pointer to =
note as to HW setup and OS config that you have run into for the 7200's or=
 7300's?

Thanks in advance,
jonathan

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:25:04 +0100
> From: Benjamin Dembroski <public.dembroski@ntlworld.com>
> To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com,
> =09yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: (no subject)

> Hi.

> Brand spankin' new to linux.

> I am in the process of converting a bunch of old PPC's (7300/200's) to
> linux. This an effort to set up an "alternative computer lab" using
> only discarded computers and open source software here at the Glasgow
> School of art.

> Suffice it to say, none of the students that will be using this lab are
> all that computer literate. (They would never go near a command line)
> For the most part, they live on Photoshop and Premiere and the like. If
> they are going to get along with linux, I need to make the interface as
> non -intimidating as possible.

> So far, so good. Lots of reading. Lots of playing. I am starting to get
> the hang of it -- slowly. (I've been at this for a few weeks fiddling
> in my spare time).

> One wee problem. If I use the graphical login option to X, the mouse
> pointer is dead. All is fine with the text based login. ANy suggestions
> where to start? I googled looking for the answer, but the link to the
> solutions page in YDL seems to be broken. (points to a page discussing
> updating to YDL 3).

> Any help would be much appreciated.

> Also, if there are any general suggestions of how to make the
> workstations as user friendly as possible, I'd love to hear them.

> Many thanks.

Jonathan Burtner
Producer / Engineer
mailto:burtneraudiolabs@mindspring.com