Messed it up already

Nate Birkholz yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:54:06 -0600

On 4/4/03 3:24 PM, "Chris Bondelid" <cbond@umci.com> wrote:

> you need to use "su -" to switch to root.
>
> su [-] [user] is the syntax for sWITCH uSER.  The dash means run profile,
> bashrc, cd to home directory, etc like you were logging in as the user.  No
> dash, means just switch to this user dammit!  : )  No user specified means
> su to root.
>

> Chris
>

> SysAdmin
> University Mechanical

Thanks so very much. That worked great, and I just ran xconfigurator instead
of trying to find the reference again that told me the right line to edit.

I swear I'm gonna buy a few books on the way home tonight and read up more
before I break something! I really, really promise.

But that's not to say I won't need more help. ;)