Messed it up already

Morgan Doocy yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:58:57 -0800

Since you're unfamiliar with command line navigation, I'll walk you
through some of the steps.

First, to switch to root, you CAN use:

nate@localhost$ su

...but it's better to use (note the minor difference):

nate@localhost$ su -

(That's "su[space][dash]".)

Adding the dash makes a big difference -- without it, you're logged in
as root, but without all the behind-the-scenes setup that allows you to
really do anything as root. With the dash, you become root as if you
logged in that way from the start. You could say that without the dash,
it kind of half-logs you in. Kinda weird, but that's the way it works.

 From there, you should be able to do everything root should be able to
do. I would recommend first doing the following to save your patience
while troubleshooting:

root@localhost$ pico /etc/inittab

Edit the very last line, which reads:

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Change it to read:

x:5:once:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Hit Control-O to save, Control-X to exit.

This prevents init from trying to relaunch X if it crashes, which cuts
down drastically on the amount of time you have to wait before you can
use the command prompt again. It also won't give you the "INIT: Id "x"
respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes" error. If you'd like to
reverse this when you get X running again, feel free to do so.

Now you'll probably want to run:

root@localhost$ Xconfigurator

This will set up X again for you. Choose the same settings that you
chose before, when it worked. As soon as it exits, you can do the
following:

root@localhost$ exit
nate@localhost$ /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

This logs you out from root (dropping back to nate), and then runs the
same command that gets X to start up when you boot the computer -- just
for consistency, so you know it should work the same way when you boot
up next.

If Xconfigurator doesn't work the first time, try re-running it and
selecting some different options, then relaunching X. If you can't get
it to work after a few tries, let us know what you've done and we'll
see if we can help you out.

As far as sudo goes, I've actually never set that up before, so someone
else should probably help you with that. I'm just too lazy to learn vi.
;-)

Oh, and you won't need to boot into single-user mode. I'm not sure how
to do that, but if you follow these steps you won't need to.

Hope that helps.

Morgan