Options for Install

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:27:01 +0100

--On Monday, April 7, 2003 2:28 pm -0700 Gauri Nanda <gnanda@apple.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two powerbooks - a G3 Lombard and a titanium GHz G4.  I use a lot
> of audio and video applications as well as Codewarrior/PB on my G4.   I
> was planning on selling my G3 but then realized I need to learn linux for
> school.  Given that I use a lot of graphics intensive applications on my
> G4, would it still be ok to install YDL on a separate partition?  Or, are
> there a lot of advantages to having a designated Linux machine (my G3)?
> Also, would this configuration end up being a Mac-On-Linux setup where
> I'd always have to boot OS X after booting in Linux?

My 2p....

If you're happy using the G4 for all your audo/video mac stuff, and you
have to learn Linux as you say, then I'd keep the G4 for the mac stuff and
use the G3 as a Linux only machine.  Far easier and much less stress if
you're dabbling with a new system should you accidentally break it
(hehehehehe) if you know you can just wipe it and start again.  Keep it
seeparate from your audio/video work.

Personally I much prefer to have separate machines doing separate things,
running separate systems, rather than having it all on one machine.  Much
easier to compare side by side.  Also...you then have a machine you can go
searching the YDL lists on whilst your Linux box sits blinking at you :)
Or indeed vice versa as does happen!

Suzanne