YDL 2.3 Install on WHite i-book

Daniel Wells yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:52:37 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3055D.F37BA550

First off, my i-book is a 600 mhz with 256 ram, 20 gig HD (really only =
18).

Originally I set the machine up to have two partitions (for 9.2 and for =
10.2)

I had a 2.8 gig part.(from now on referred to as the 1st partition) set =
up for 9.2 and the rest was for Jaguar (the 2nd partition).

I am wanting to install YDL. I have downloaded the ISO for 2.3 and have =
been trying that. I moved my 9.2 system and app files onto the 2nd =
partition and deleted everything from off the 1st partition. Everything =
(Classic) works fine with this setup. However I have tried two install =
methods and neither one lets me boot into YDL.=20

The first involved installing without a boot partition (thinking I might =
be able to use the 'ctrl' option on boot-up to select the linux volume, =
but it appears that only works when you have YDL on a separate drive =
completely). Also it appears since the Linux partition was now ext2 it =
is no longer readable by the mac os.

The second one I tried with a 10 meg partition called /boot to store the =
boot loader onto. However, my computer does not see that partition =
either. This is my guess why:

When I separated the partition I followed this order. I deleted the 1st =
partition. Then I created the 10 meg boot partition and told YDL that is =
was a boot partition (it showed up as hfs, which is good). I then =
created the SWAP partition (128 meg), which also looked good. I then =
maxed out the rest of the free space for the linux partition. When done =
all partitions looked good. 10 meg boot (being hfs), 128 meg swap (being =
swap), and a 1.65 gig linux (being ext2).

I select the "save" button and it continued to format the partitions. =
Then I go into the mount section and label the linux partition as "/", =
and set the boot partition to "/boot". However I notice now that YDL is =
recognizing my boot partition also as ext2 and no longer as hfs (Which =
my Mac PRAM cannot read, this is my assumption). Therefor, even after =
finishing my installation and configuring the boot loader, it still just =
boots right into my OS X partition.=20

Any help out there??????

(also if I want to revert my machine back to the way it was, I am not =
sure how to do it. I have tried booting into my 10.2 install CD's and =
running the Open Disk Utility to change the ext2 and swap partitions =
back to hfs so Mac OS can use them again, however the Open Disk Utility =
can't read those partition and therefore has no idea they exist. In =
essence my Macintosh just lost 2.8 gigs of HD space and I have no idea =
how to recover it.  I am sure that I could wipe of my entire HD and =
start over but I just did that a few weeks ago and boy was that a =
headache (about 10 hour to get everything reinstalled))

Thanks in advance.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3055D.F37BA550

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>First off, my i-book is a 600 mhz with 256 ram, 20 gig HD (really =
only=20
18).</P>
<P>Originally I set the machine up to have two partitions (for 9.2 and =
for=20
10.2)</P>
<P>I had a 2.8 gig part.(from now on referred to as the 1st =
partition)&nbsp;set=20
up for 9.2 and the rest was for Jaguar (the 2nd partition).</P>
<P>I am wanting to install YDL. I have downloaded the ISO for 2.3 and =
have been=20
trying that. I moved my 9.2 system and app files&nbsp;onto the=20
2nd&nbsp;partition and deleted everything from off the 1st partition. =
Everything=20
(Classic)&nbsp;works fine with this setup. However I have tried two =
install=20
methods and neither one lets me boot into YDL. </P>
<P>The first involved installing without a boot partition (thinking I =
might be=20
able to use the 'ctrl' option on boot-up to select the linux volume, but =
it=20
appears that only works when you have YDL on a separate drive =
completely). Also=20
it appears since the Linux partition was now ext2 it is no longer =
readable by=20
the mac os.</P>
<P>The second one I tried with a 10 meg partition called /boot to store =
the boot=20
loader onto. However, my computer does not see that partition either. =
This is my=20
guess why:</P>
<P>When I separated the partition I followed this order. I deleted =
the&nbsp;1st=20
partition. Then I created the 10 meg boot partition and told YDL that is =
was a=20
boot partition (it showed up as hfs, which is good). I then created the =
SWAP=20
partition (128 meg), which also looked good. I then maxed out the rest =
of the=20
free space for the linux partition. When done all partitions looked =
good. 10 meg=20
boot (being hfs), 128 meg swap (being swap), and a 1.65 gig linux (being =

ext2).</P>
<P>I select the "save" button and it continued to format the partitions. =
Then I=20
go into the mount section and label the linux partition as "/", and set =
the boot=20
partition to "/boot". However I notice now that YDL is recognizing my =
boot=20
partition also as ext2 and no&nbsp;longer as hfs&nbsp;(Which my =
Mac&nbsp;PRAM=20
cannot read, this is my assumption). Therefor, even after finishing my=20
installation and configuring the boot loader, it still just boots right =
into my=20
OS X partition. </P>
<P>Any help out there??????</P>
<P>(also if I want to revert my machine back to the way it was, I am not =
sure=20
how to do it. I have tried booting into my 10.2 install CD's and running =
the=20
Open Disk Utility to change the ext2 and swap partitions back to hfs so =
Mac OS=20
can use them again, however the Open Disk Utility can't read those =
partition and=20
therefore has no idea they exist. In essence my Macintosh just lost 2.8 =
gigs of=20
HD space and I have no idea how to recover it.&nbsp; I am sure that I =
could wipe=20
of my entire HD and start over but I just did that a few weeks ago and =
boy was=20
that a headache (about 10 hour to get everything reinstalled))</P>
<P>Thanks in advance.</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C3055D.F37BA550--