I must be a unix, I got no disk!

Rick Pepping yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:37:05 +0000

I still can't find my floppy.  Multiple install and re-installs of the
YDL 2.3 home/office package into a 4 GB partition all give the same
result.  Listing the /etc/fstab shows all of my devices except the
floppy drive. Attemps at mount /mnt/floppy, mount /mnt/fd0, mount
floppy, cd fd0, and on and on give messages that say I have no floppy
drive.  The result is the same both with the disk in and disk out. One
exception is that, with the floppy in, I can do eject fd0 and the drive
will eject the disk.

All this is happening on my old beige G3 Mac.  It has 2 HDs.  Bus 0 is
an ATA (Quantum) 6 GB drive partitioned as 2 GB for the Mac OS8.6, 4 GB
for YDL .  Bus 1 has the CDROM and internal Zip100 on it, also showing
as ATA in the profiler.  I have a SCSI bus 0 with an 8 GB HD partitioned
into 4 Mac partitions for all of my Mac applications and files. (My SCSI
chain of external drives is disconnected from the Mac)  The last item in
the profiler list is the floppy with no details provided.  The floppy
drive works just fine under MacOS.

This is a stand-alone home machine.  Floppy disks are the only means I
have to move files between home and work.  I am at wit's end.  I'll try
anything!  F'rinstance, there is a long list of options to
select/deselect in the custom installation.  None have descriptions of
what is being turned on or off with  the check boxes.  Does anybody know
if any of these turns the floppy on/off?

Thanks- Rick Pepping

--
Television: a medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well done. -- Ernie Kovacs