shutting down linux properly

Larson, Timothy E. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:13:17 -0500

See "man shutdown".  In general, "shutdown -h now" should do what you want, but you need to be a privileged user (root) to do it.  The shutdown command will free up resources properly so you don't have to go through the lengthy startup checks.

This works for any Linux, not just YDL.

When you know the command name, man is a good way to get info about it.  But when you don't know the command name, use apropos to find it.  In this case you could have done "apropos 'shut down'" to find the shutdown command.  It's helpful to be able to help yourself.

Tim

--
Tim Larson     <><   <><   <><   <><   <><     OL 4-131-2
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester