IOError 5?!?!? (or the return of 'PLEASE HELP!!!')

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 00:46:57 -0600

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:41 PM, Bradley Martin wrote:

> Still trying to put YDL3 on my B+W G3 350 w/ a Seagate 80GB drive. As=20=

> long as I only have the Seagate drive in there,=A0it (the drive) seems=20=

> to work fine (I assume this has something to do with me not having the=20=

> correct jumper settings...no big deal, i don't need the extra 6gb from=20=

> the old drive anyway).
> =A0
> My problem is this, though: everytime I try to install YDL, with the=20=

> exception of when I do a bare minimum install (linux in text mode and=20=

> nothing else at all) the installer stalls somewhere on the second disc=20=

> (generally at SDL_Mixer...or something else instead if I try=20
> deselecting that). A quick opt-command-F5 (or F4 or whatever, i=20
> forget) to another screen and I get the message "IOError 5" and=20
> something about it not being able to keep writing to the drive. All 80=20=

> gigs are free so it can't be running out of room; and it's not the=20
> drive itself b/c I got the same message when I was trying to install=20=

> to the 6 GB factory drive.
> =A0
> Ideas, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!?!? I'm trying to get that computer up=20
> and running before school starts so that I'll have something to use at=20=

> home...

Did you buy the CDs or did you burn the ISOs?  It could be a problem=20
reading files off the CD (or at least I think it could since I don't=20
know what the error codes mean either).  If you have access to another=20=

copy, it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.  If you burned your=20
own CDs from the downloadable ISOs, then you need to burn the image=20
before mounting it or the checksum will be screwed up (or something=20
like that).

I'm pulling this information from an install incident that happened to=20=

me a while ago so I'm not sure if it's relevant for the current times=20
and I certainly don't remember the error codes I got.  Other than that,=20=

the discs aren't scratched, are they?  :l

Good luck,
Chaz=