IOError 5?!?!? (or the return of 'PLEASE HELP!!!')

Bradley Martin yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1141095604-1059788359=:89663

Chaz McGarvey <chaz@brokenzipper.com> wrote:

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:41 PM, Bradley Martin wrote:

> Still trying to put YDL3 on my B+W G3 350 w/ a Seagate 80GB drive. As
> long as I only have the Seagate drive in there, it (the drive) seems
> to work fine (I assume this has something to do with me not having the
> correct jumper settings...no big deal, i don't need the extra 6gb from
> the old drive anyway).
>
> My problem is this, though: everytime I try to install YDL, with the
> exception of when I do a bare minimum install (linux in text mode and
> nothing else at all) the installer stalls somewhere on the second disc
> (generally at SDL_Mixer...or something else instead if I try
> deselecting that). A quick opt-command-F5 (or F4 or whatever, i
> forget) to another screen and I get the message "IOError 5" and
> something about it not being able to keep writing to the drive. All 80
> gigs are free so it can't be running out of room; and it's not the
> drive itself b/c I got the same message when I was trying to install
> to the 6 GB factory drive.
>
> Ideas, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!?!? I'm trying to get that computer up
> and running before school starts so that I'll have something to use at
> home...

Did you buy the CDs or did you burn the ISOs? It could be a problem
reading files off the CD (or at least I think it could since I don't
know what the error codes mean either). If you have access to another
copy, it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If you burned your
own CDs from the downloadable ISOs, then you need to burn the image
before mounting it or the checksum will be screwed up (or something
like that).

I'm pulling this information from an install incident that happened to
me a while ago so I'm not sure if it's relevant for the current times
and I certainly don't remember the error codes I got. Other than that,
the discs aren't scratched, are they? :l

I burned the CDs from the ISOs off YDL's FTP; I tried burning Disc 2 (the one that stalls) a second again, but the same thing happens.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "burning the image before mounting".

Thanks...

<i am not bradley martin>

--0-1141095604-1059788359=:89663

<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Chaz McGarvey &lt;chaz@brokenzipper.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; WIDTH: 100%">
<P><BR>On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:41 PM, Bradley Martin wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Still trying to put YDL3 on my B+W G3 350 w/ a Seagate 80GB drive. As <BR>&gt; long as I only have the Seagate drive in there,&nbsp;it (the drive) seems <BR>&gt; to work fine (I assume this has something to do with me not having the <BR>&gt; correct jumper settings...no big deal, i don't need the extra 6gb from <BR>&gt; the old drive anyway).<BR>&gt; &nbsp;<BR>&gt; My problem is this, though: everytime I try to install YDL, with the <BR>&gt; exception of when I do a bare minimum install (linux in text mode and <BR>&gt; nothing else at all) the installer stalls somewhere on the second disc <BR>&gt; (generally at SDL_Mixer...or something else instead if I try <BR>&gt; deselecting that). A quick opt-command-F5 (or F4 or whatever, i <BR>&gt; forget) to another screen and I get the message "IOError 5" and <BR>&gt; something about it not being able to keep writing to the drive. All 80 <BR>&gt; gigs are free
 so it can't be running out of room; and it's not the <BR>&gt; drive itself b/c I got the same message when I was trying to install <BR>&gt; to the 6 GB factory drive.<BR>&gt; &nbsp;<BR>&gt; Ideas, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!?!? I'm trying to get that computer up <BR>&gt; and running before school starts so that I'll have something to use at <BR>&gt; home...<BR><BR>Did you buy the CDs or did you burn the ISOs? It could be a problem <BR>reading files off the CD (or at least I think it could since I don't <BR>know what the error codes mean either). If you have access to another <BR>copy, it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If you burned your <BR>own CDs from the downloadable ISOs, then you need to burn the image <BR>before mounting it or the checksum will be screwed up (or something <BR>like that).<BR><BR>I'm pulling this information from an install incident that happened to <BR>me a while ago so I'm not sure if it's relevant for the current times <BR>and I certainly don't remember
 the error codes I got. Other than that, <BR>the discs aren't scratched, are they? :l</P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I burned the CDs from the ISOs off YDL's FTP; I tried burning Disc 2 (the one that stalls) a second again, but the same thing happens.</P>
<P>I don't quite understand what you mean by "burning the image before mounting".</P>
<P>Thanks...</P><BR><BR>&lt;i am not bradley martin&gt;<p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1141095604-1059788359=:89663--