IOError 5?!?!? (or the return of 'PLEASE HELP!!!')

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:44:07 -0600

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 07:39 PM, Bradley Martin wrote:

> I burned the CDs from the ISOs off YDL's FTP; I tried burning Disc 2
> (the one that stalls) a second again, but the same thing happens.
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean by "burning the image before
> mounting".
>
> Thanks...

It may or may not have anything to do with your problem, but one time I
downloaded a YDL ISO (when it was only one image) and mounted it (as in
double click on the image file in the Finder and it will appear as a
mounted disc) before I burned the image.  I learned later when I was
having problems installing that when you do this, the image checksum
can get screwed up somehow and I had to download the ISO again because
it burned bad discs afterward.

Your situation just reminded be of this incident, though I don't
remember the exact errors I got, so I thought I would just check and
make sure you didn't do this.  To be a little more specific about the
problem, I think the Mac OS software I used to mount the image changed
some of the filenames to be short enough for Mac OS (32 characters, is
it?...), so some of the files on the disc couldn't be found.

Good luck,
Chaz