Grrrr. How do I get this installed?

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:29:27 -0600

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 07:45 AM, <devilc@cox.net> wrote:

>> but how can that be?  I just got done formatting it.  >
>
> And let me add, the option I get with disk utility (10.2 instsall
> disk) is
> called "erase", so I choose this, and I choose Mac OS Standard, not Mac
> OS Extended.
>
> The entire "format" process takes, and I'm not kidding, 5 seconds to
> complete.

OK, great.  My guess at your problem was correct then, but I didn't
give you enough detail.

When I talked about free space on my first post, I used quotes because
there is almost certainly going to be room on the disc *on other
partitions*, but Linux can't use the space that is allocated to
partitions formatted as HFS and HFS+ (at least to be installed on).

Since you only want YDL, this is going to be easy.  In Disk Utility,
you want to go to the tab called Partition which is just to the right
of Erase tab.

1. From the Volume Scheme pull-down, choose 1 Partition.

2. From the Volume Information Info box, choose Free Space for the
format.

3. From the Options box, uncheck Install Mac OS 9 Disk Drivers.

4. Click the Partition button.

Now instead of having one big partition that Mac OS uses, you have
unallocated space that the YDL installer can use to make its own
partitions out of.

This is something that the installer *should* be able to do for you.
Actually, maybe it can.  I didn't spend a lot of time using Disk Druid.
  But if it can't, hopefully this is a feature that will be added to
anaconda soon.  By the way, anaconda is actually a lot better than
previous YDL installers if you can believe that.

Good luck,
Chaz