Reply:Grrrr. How do I get this installed?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:24:16 -0400

> From: Norberto Quintanar <nquintanar@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2003/08/01 Fri PM 12:18:15 EDT
> To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: Re: Reply:Grrrr.  How do I get this installed?
>
> First, you do have all THREE YDL 3.0 disks?

Yes.  I paid $60 for 6 disks, 3 install + 3 source and The Frikken Manual(s), which I DID READ.

The disk I put in says Install 1

 If you do stick the
> first one in your CD-Rom, reboot and hold down the "C" key, the
> installer should automatically start.

Yes, and I type install and hit return, and instead of sending me to the graphical installer, at the very end (after a whole bunch of messages about my video chipset [rage 128], imac display, 2 button usb mouse, and apple keyboard) I get a message about the X system failing to load and I'm kicked to the text based installer.

 Once started just follow the
> instructions, the Anaconda installer is really good.  When you get to
> the partitioning let it delete everything, and auto-partition like
> you tried before.

I've followed this step every single time.  I hit Autopartition and at the end of that, it won't let me go further because I have no / or swap.

(You'd think with a name like "AutoPartition" it would just automatically do that, but no.)

I then tried Disk Druid.  The instructions in TFM are all about what to do in the GUI installer (the one it won't let me into) and nothing about the Text installer.  Disk Druid won't let me edit the disk at all, and again, I can't go on because I don't have a / partition.

 This should install easily and readily onto your
> system.  Mind you, I've set this up on other iMac 350's and YDL will
> install in text mode.  It'll run slow unless you have the maximum
> amount of memory you can afford.

I have 320 mb of ram in there.  And I know the 256 stick I added is good, because I ran the machine for 2 days under 9.1 with no hangups.

-Katherine-