Reply:Grrrr. How do I get this installed?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:06:08 -0400

[A bit of ranting herein, *not* directed at you who have generously and patiently offered a noobie some advice.]

> In the world of Unix and especially Linux (irregardless of
> version/vendor/etc.) you must learn to read the engineer's notes

It would help if the engineers had a clue about how to write clear, step by step, instructions, or if YDL would shell out and hire a competent technical writer.

> I can only encourage you to get the manuals,

I have TFM. I paid for TFM. I have RTFM, several times.  TFM is so vague and unclear I am acutally going to lend it to the professor I took my graduate level technical writing course from so he can add it to his real world examples of how not to write a manual.

TFM says nothing about the text installer, except that it's there if that's what you'd prefer to use.

The Help menus in the text installer point to a web page.  When you get to the web page, if you've shelled out $80 you can log in to YDL's support site.  If you haven't shelled out $80, you can join this list.  (And here, silly me, I thought a help menu would contain instructions on how to use the program it's connected to.  How Mac/Windows of me.)

BTW, TFM told me to format the drive into HFS.

But 3 other emails on this list have told me to reformat my drive but to NOT choose HFS.

(I have fdisked and partitioned a drive by hand before, but that was for an x86 system using a DOS 6.22 disk, with actual content in the help menu. [If you ever try to format a seagate 9gig scsi2 drive with a W9x boot disk, and get "divide over flow error" email me and I will tell you what I did to get around it.])

While not fond of the command line at all, I am not afraid to do things by hand, provided I have the *correct* instructions.

Once again, thank you everybody for your suggestions.

-Katherine-