Can't start Apache

Wes Plate yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:25:19 -0700

On 8/4/03 12:28 PM, "Longman, Bill" wrote:

>>> Is httpd running?
>>
>> Yes, it is running.
>
> What does it show here? It's hard to see how httpd could be running....

Ok, maybe it isn't.  This IS the newbie list, right?  :-)

Here is what I got back, I assumed if it wasn't running I'd have received
nothing back.

root    30989 30821  0  12:50  pts/1  00:00:00  grep httpd

>> When I go to  YDL menu->System Settings->Server Settings->HTTP Server  it
>> tells me that it is listening to 80, but obviously it isn't.
>>

> Exactly. I can tell you have ssh, mail, cups, mysql and webmin running from
> this.
>
> You might want to try
>
> service httpd restart
>
> to see if it is a problem with a lock file. [not likely, but possible]

When I type this I get:

Stopping httpd:  [ FAILED ]
Starting httpd:  [   OK   ]

>>> If you installed Everything, it might be your firewall software. Shut that
>>> down if you installed it. Once it's down,

I wish I knew how to do this, I can't find the firewall software.  Sorry,
I'm really good with Macs, and I'm ok on Windows, but Linux is just too
"roll your own" for me to be able to know how to work it.

>>> iptables --list [run this as root].
>>>
>>> Should just say policy ACCEPT for input, forward and output.
>>>
>>> If it's not running, you should, check your config file
>>> [/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf]. You should have
>>>
>>> Listen 80
>>>
>>> somewhere in that file.
>>

>> Yes, httpd.conf does say "Listen *:80"
>
> I've never seen *:80, but I'm no apache pro. I'd take out the star colon and
> just put 80 there and see how that flies.

Didn't seem to help.  Or maybe something deeper is failing and this isn't
even coming into play.

> Take a look through /var/log/httpd/error_log and see if it's telling you
> something we're missing.

This file is empty!

I've installed YDL on this box three times now trying to get it to work.
Interestingly, the second time Apache worked just fine, and that time I
DIDN'T install everything.  Of course that second time I could use perl
-MCPAN, it couldn't find CPAM.pm.

I did everything again because of the perl -MCPAN problem and I was hoping
mod_perl would get installed.  I need that.

Last night I also wrote to the Yellow Dog people and asked to buy
installation support to help me get up and running--  so far no answer.

Suggestions?

--
Wes Plate
 Automatic Duck, Inc.