Installing on a PPC 5400/180

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:02:03 -0500

Mr. Sarro:

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 03:29  PM, Matty Sarro wrote:
> [...] It=92s a PowerPC 5400/180. [...]
>
> So, I replaced the hard drive with a =91new=92 4 gig western digital =20=

> caviar, but now upon booting it brings up a picture of a folder with a =
=20
> blinking question mark on it.

The Mac is looking for a drive or startup device containing a =20
legitimate Macintosh OS System Folder.

> I=92ve tried booting off of the YDL cd by both holding C after =
booting, =20
> and by holding cmd+opt+shift+deland neither option works. Must I =20
> install one of the Mac OS=92s first?

Almost certainly, yes. Locate a Macintosh OS install CD -- the 5400 can =20=

use any Mac OS from 7.5.5 to 9.1. Something in the Mac OS 8.1 to 8.6.1 =20=

range would probably be ideal.

First, before installing the Macintosh OS, you will have to format and =20=

partition the HD. The YDL installation booklet has very specific =20
instructions concerning this, and you should follow those instructions:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-=20
single.pdf>

There is also a video for an older installation on the Website, as I =20
learned just yesterday (look at the bottom of the page):

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint