Gnome startup & books

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:45:32 -0700

> I'd like to switch from KDE to Gnome. I tried "switchdesk gnome" in a
> shell, but was informed that Gnome is not installed. When I use the
> Find File command from the YDL menu, several Gnome files and
> directories are listed. So, obviously, I have to reinstall Gnome (I
> would have thought it would be installed and set up during
> the initial
> installation...). If I use yum to install Gnome, will the
> command "yum
> install gnome*" get everything necessary? And would there be any
> additional configuration necessary (getting Gnome to show up in the
> Sessions list at logon, etc.)?
>
> YDL 3 is based on Red Hat Linux 9, right? I was looking at Red Hat
> Linux 9 Bible as a reference, and wanted to make sure that there will
> be a pretty close match. Are there any other reference books that are
> good?

It sure seems like RH 8, Dan. I have used several different distros and it's
definitely in that vein. The configs are copyright RH 2002, so it sure seems
so.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your yum question. I don't know if you can
use wildcards with it. You shouldn't have gotten Gnome installed initially.
Only the apps that showed dependencies on other apps would have gotten
installed.