Connecting to the Net via Airport

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:28:34 -0400

I installed YDL3.0 on an iMac 17" LCD, 800mHz. I have been trying to
configure a connection to the Net using Airport (the Apple wireless
option). I used the support article at
http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_2.3/airport24.shtml
but got the ifcfg files for eth0 & eth1 so royally screwed up that I
had to do a reinstall.

I don't know where to begin with this thing & would appreciate any
pointers anyone can give.

(1) eth0 seems pretty definitely to be my Apple ethernet port (and I
don't have anything connected thru the ethernet port).
(2) eth1 seems pretty definitely the port for Airport.
(3) The directions in the link above say to start by copying ifcfg-eth0
to ifcfg-eth1, and I have tried that. However, I'm not convinced that
eth0 itself is properly configured. If it's not, using it as the basis
for config'ng eth1 is not going to work. Here is a copy of my
ifcfg-eth0 file:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Ethernet
Does this seem reasonable? Does it seem complete? Should I proceed, &
make it the basis of my eth1 config file?

I'm really floundering with this, and any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks so much.    --Harvey