YDL 2.3 iMac Rev A - can't boot

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:18:06 -0400

Hi,

I have an iMac Rev A (233 mhz) and I've tried four times to install YDL 2.3 without
sucess.

I followed guidelines: 2 partitions (1 unallocated for YDL - 2nd HFS for Mac OS 9),
installed OS 9 in second partition, then installed YDL (made 3 partition: 10 MB Boot, 256
MB Swap and the rest for Linux - 20 GB). But after restart I only get a gray screen. The
install was in text mode.

Then tried reverse sequence: installing Mac OS 9.1 in first partition (not HFS Extended)
and YDL 2.3 in second partition (made 3 partition: 10 MB Boot, 256 MB Swap and the
rest for Linux - 20 GB). Installation went fine. After restart I get the text menu to choose
which to boot: Mac OS, Linux or CD. Selecting any of them only gets message like
"please wait, loading...." and just freeze.

So finally I decided to install just the YDL. Initialized HD with 1 partition "Unallocated",
restart YDL CD, follow instruction (10 MB boot, 256 MB Swap, 20 GB Linux). Installation
finish without error. Now, after restart I get the following:

boot: linux
Please wait, loading kernel....
/pci/mac-io/de@20000/disk@0:8,/boot/vmlinux: Input/output error

I've searching through the messages in this group, but I didn't found what to do to resolve
the problem.

I would like to hear from whoever is in this list who has susscesfully installed YDL 2.3 in a
iMac Rev A.

Thanks in advance
Gustavo Chirinos