installing Linux to disk image

Dave yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

Clint, thanks for your idea. I am installing YDL on a
20 GB partition of another computer (an iMac). I would
appreciate it if someone could tell me what steps to
follow to implement Clint's idea of cloning that
partition to a disk image that I could then copy to
the iBook that is running OS X. If necessary, I can
install OS X to the iMac, so that it would run OS X
and Linux on different partitions. The hard disk of
the iBook, however, only has one partition, so I would
need to mount the disk image to run Linux, if that is
possible.

Clint wrote:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:33  AM, Dave
wrote:
> Instead of reformatting my hard drive to partition
it, I would like
> install YDL on a disk image on the existing hard
drive.  Does anyone
> know how I can do this using OS X (10.2.6)? I'm not
sure if I can
> create the disk image using the "UNIX file system"
selection in Disk
> Copy, or how to procede after that. I would
appreciate any
assistance.

That is a really clever idea, but I don't think it
will work (I am sure
someone will correct me if I am wrong). In order to
mount hard drive
disk images, you must be booted into Mac OS X. But, in
order to install
YDL, you must be booted into Linux.

Another approach might be to install YDL onto another
spare hard drive,
then "clone" the install onto the disk image. (Of
course, I am too much
of a newbie to know how that "cloning" step might be
done.)

Not very helpful, I know. :-(

Best wishes,
Clint