installing Linux to disk image

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:08:16 -0500

Dave:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 01:46  PM, Dave wrote:
> I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what steps to follow to
> implement Clint's idea of cloning that partition to a disk image that
> I could then copy to the iBook that is running OS X.

Unfortunately, I think Chaz McGarvey's point might be even harder to
overcome:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 12:30  PM, Chaz McGarvey wrote:
> I wonder how you would go about booting from a disk image, assuming
> you could even format one and install Linux on it...

I think he is right: even if you could copy ("cp -r *"?) everything
from the Linux partition to the disk image, you cannot boot from the
image.

Another approach would be to invest in Virtual PC (which emulates PC
hardware on the Mac), then install an Intel distro like Red Hat or
Mandrake. Virtual PC makes its own sort of disk image (that can even be
resized, I believe). This might be the best way to accomplish what you
are looking for.

Let us know what you decide!

Best wishes,
Clint