How do I mount an HFS partition as non-root?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:12:58 -0500

Friends:

I want to be able to access my HFS partition on my PowerBook from a
user account rather than as root. Preferably, I would like to see the
partition in the Konquerer file browser so that I can move files using
drag-and-drop. Is there a way to mount the HFS partition in my user
account? (This must be a frequently asked question, but I have not
found anything on the YDL site.)

Background:

I finally installed YDL on my Wallstreet PowerBook G3 Series (with an
updated 25 GB hard drive). My setup has a 7.5 GB HFS+ partition with
Mac OS 9.1 (and I will probably load OS X on it soon), a 1 GB HFS
partition (for compatibility with both Mac OS and YDL was my hope), and
the remainder (~16 GB) formatted for YDL.

According to the YDL manual (which is nicely written overall, though
sketchy in a few spots), I can mount the HFS partition if I am logged
in as root:

[clint]% su
Password: ******
[root@clint]% mkdir /mnt/macos #create a new "mount point" and name it
"macos"
[root@clint]% mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/macos -thfs #mount the hfs
partition (hda10) at macos

 From this point, I can copy files from the HFS partition to my Home
directory. Then I can use "chmod" to give the files read/write
permissions for my user account.

I know, I know: this is The Linux Way. It only took me about thirty
minutes last night to copy one file (consulting the manual all the
way). With practice, I could probably get the process down to about
seven or eight minutes. And, it's a pain in the ASCII. :-)

 From Konquerer, I tried to navigate to the /mnt/macos directory, but I
could not see any folders or files. :-( I suppose I could always login
to X as "root," but that would defeat the purposes of having a
privileged superuser.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint