How do I mount an HFS partition as non-root?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:01:17 -0500

Bill:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 06:05  PM, Longman, Bill wrote:
> If you look in your /etc/fstab file, you'll see the mount statements
> for all your file systems. [...]

Excellent! Thanks!

> (after)
> $ cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
> /dev/hda7 /foo ext3 noatime,user 0 0
> $ mount /foo
> [no error means happiness has descended into your world]

I did some Web research, and got several conflicting answers. Yours was
the most clear.

So, let me get this straight:

[1] in a console, get superuser privileges ("su")
[2] using vi or pico, edit the file /etc/fstab
[3] add the line --

/dev/hda10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user,rw    0 0

[4] from the console, as a regular user, type "mount /mnt/macos"
[5] Voila! (or, so I hope -- I will be unable to test this until this
evening)

The "noauto" prevents the partition from mounting at startup; the
"user" allows user access (why this isn't the default is beyond me),
the "rw" lets me have read and write access (the write access might be
tricky if YDL writes funky bits to the Mac filesystem; and I cannot
figure out what the "0 0" is for, but I saw it in every Web page on the
subject.

I will let you know if this works. Thanks, again!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
\ Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald   \ <mailto:clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>
  \ Cell Biology & Biochemistry\ 806/743-2703