How do I mount an HFS partition as non-root?

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:05:28 -0700

> That sounds great! However, please remember that I am a newbie, and I
> don't understand any of what you wrote after "All you have to do
> is...." Could you be a little more specific (or point me to a
> source)?

If you look in your /etc/fstab file, you'll see the mount statements for all
your file systems. The first element is the device to use (/dev/hda5, none,
server:/fs). The second element is where is should hang on your tree
(/,/usr,/mnt/floppy). The third element is the format for the device (nfs,
ext2, iso9660). The next element is a comma-separated list of options for
the mount command. This is the one. Edit this file and put the magic ",user"
where it would best fit and save the file.

Example (before):

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda7 /foo ext3 noatime 0 0
$ mount /foo
mount: only root can mount /dev/hda7 on /foo
$

(after)
$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda7 /foo ext3 noatime,user 0 0
$ mount /foo
[no error means happiness has descended into your world]
$