How do I mount an HFS partition as non-root?

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:11:59 -0700

> Bill:
>
> On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 06:05  PM, Longman, Bill wrote:
> > If you look in your /etc/fstab file, you'll see the mount
> statements
> > for all your file systems. [...]
>
> Excellent! Thanks!
>
> > (after)
> > $ cat /etc/fstab
> > /dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
> > /dev/hda7 /foo ext3 noatime,user 0 0
> > $ mount /foo
> > [no error means happiness has descended into your world]
>
> I did some Web research, and got several conflicting answers.
> Yours was
> the most clear.
>
> So, let me get this straight:
>
> [1] in a console, get superuser privileges ("su")
> [2] using vi or pico, edit the file /etc/fstab
> [3] add the line --
>
> /dev/hda10    /mnt/macos    hfs    noauto,user,rw    0 0
>
> [4] from the console, as a regular user, type "mount /mnt/macos"
> [5] Voila! (or, so I hope -- I will be unable to test this until this
> evening)
>
> The "noauto" prevents the partition from mounting at startup; the
> "user" allows user access (why this isn't the default is beyond me),
> the "rw" lets me have read and write access (the write access
> might be
> tricky if YDL writes funky bits to the Mac filesystem; and I cannot
> figure out what the "0 0" is for, but I saw it in every Web
> page on the
> subject.
>
> I will let you know if this works. Thanks, again!

Your lucidity is surpassed only by your genius, Clint.

The 0 0 thingies are bits that the file system checker uses on startup and
for backup options, if I recall. Sometimes it's okay to check file systems
in parallel, like if they are on different disks or controllers or
what-have-you. Supposedly you tweak these to your liking and presto, when
the system recovers from a crash, you're back at your prompt in no time.