installing Linux on disk image

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:39:28 -0500

Dave:

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 07:18  PM, Dave wrote:
> Clint, do you think I could install Linux to a disk image, copy the
> image to a CD, boot from the CD, then run MacOnLinux? Perhaps I could
> have another Linux disk image for saving files.

Unfortunately, almost any Linux distribution will be larger than a
single CD. There are Intel Linux distributions that are specifically
designed to run from a CD. Knoppix and BabyTux are two:

<http://www.knoppix.org/>
<http://www.babytux.org/articles/howto/how2livecd.php>

To accomplish this, large chunks of the operating system are compressed
on the CD, and decompressed on-the-fly for use. It would be *way* cool
if you could accomplish this for PowerPC, but it might be more trouble
than it was worth.

> The Virtual PC idea is interesting, but expensive.

The Virtual PC idea would be lots of fun, but expensive, as you point
out.

Honestly, the least expensive approach would be to bite the bullet and
make a fresh backup of your current Mac OS system (I *ASSUME* you make
regular backups!), reformat the hard disk, and reinstall your Mac OS
and Linux systems as usual.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint