installing Linux on disk image

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:10:52 -0500

Dave:

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 08:19  AM, Longman, Bill wrote:
> I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. [...] Again, I'm
> not sure what your ultimate goal is in getting the Linux images onto
> another disk.

I agree with Bill on this point. Actually, you should stop and ask,
what is it you are trying to accomplish with Linux? If your goal is as
a hobbiest -- to explore Linux as a possible alternative OS -- then you
might be disappointed with YDL an iBook or PowerBook. I am currently
trying YDL on an older PowerBook, and it is as frustrating as it is
exciting (for example, Linux really, really, really wants a
three-button mouse, and a single button PowerBook just doesn't cut it).

For experimentation, you might be happier with an old, discarded
Intel-based PC. Something with a 500 MHz or faster processor (1 GHz
would be ideal) might give you a much better idea of what Linux is all
about.

Or, if what you want is access to Linux and X applications, why not
stay with Mac OS X? OS X has really nice support for X windows
applications with its own X11 server:

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/download/>

The X11 for Mac OS X server, combined with the Fink installation and
update system, will give you access to hundreds of open source and
familiar Linux applications.

Just a suggestion.

Best wishes,
Clint