Graphical ssh or scp/sftp client for YDL?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:48:58 -0500

Mr. DeVita:

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 05:16  PM, Jason DeVita wrote:
>> I've also heard that konqueror supports sftp, but again, I've never
>> tried it.

Brilliant! Mr. DeVita, you are a genius!

Hook up the Ethernet wires... make sure "Remote Login" is enabled on
the PowerBook G4... check the IP address of the PowerBook
(198.162.0.15)... turn back to my Wallstreet running YDL and type
"sftp://clint@198.162.0.15" in the Konqueror address field... enter my
password in the dialog box that appeared... and it worked!

I was overwhelmed how smooth it all seemed -- once I knew how. The
hardest part was trying to guess what was the correct incantation to
type in the address field. The online help was of no use, so I tried
various combinations of "scp:," "ssh:," and so on, until it worked. I
could navigate around the PowerBook G4 as easy as if it were a local
drive (in fact, easier than bringing up an unmounted partition on the
same machine). Copying and pasting files was effortless. Very sweet!

My only worry was that there was no obvious way to log out or end the
connection. If I clicked back to my local home page, I could return to
the remote machine without having to reenter my password. That seems
like a little bit of a security problem, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint

--