Installing YDL: First Drive is Now Inaccessible

Chaz McGarvey yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:12:08 -0600

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 11:52 AM, Suman Chakrabarti wrote:

>> Suman Chakrabarti said:
>>>  Someone who didn't find the FAQ on the YDL web site. ;-) Because
>>>  there isn't one. However, I did find the link that solved things for
>>>  me.
>>>

>>> http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/dual-drive-
>>> fix.shtml
>>
>> Is it possible to disconnect the Mac OS X drive during the install
>> and put it back after?   Any boot loader configuration required or
>> is it just a matter of selecting the right startup disk?

If you have a system with two hard drives, I highly recommend
downloading BootCD (free, Mac OS X) before attempting to install YDL.
It allows you to create a bootable CD of your current Mac OS X install
and more importantly, it lets you put whatever programs (like the
required version of pdisk to fix the problem) or documents (like the
instructions to follow to fix the problem) right on the disk.  And
isn't a bootable disk that allows you to run in the Finder just a nice
thing to have anyway?

It really is a simple problem to fix unless you're stuck with a botched
YDL install and no bootable CD.

BTW- Disconnecting the OS X hard drive during YDL install seems like a
clever thing to try.  It's possible that there's a chance that it could
work.  Or in other works, I simple don't know if it will work or not.
:)

> I don't know. I'm only a week into trying out YDL myself. I've just
> assiduously tried to search for answers on YDL sites and the list
> archives, but I don't know how to do what you want.
>

>> I'm thinking about moving YDL 3.0 to my DP867 MDD from the old G3,
>> but I don't want to screw up the Mac OS X install.
>
> My OS X install instantly came back on my dual-800, after using the
> anaconda fix above.
>
> However, I still can't turn on X11 when I log in with "startx". I'm
> searching for an answer, but I haven't gotten any replies to my posts.

Good luck,
Chaz