Standing ovation was "Problem with yaboot on 333MHz iMac"

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:05:12 -0700 (PDT)

As a chemist I feel that "entropy" is my forte.  You're right, a
"newbie" list is where people "share" experiences, but my rhetoric
was aimed at the "newbies" who "whine" about, "no one answered my
question!"  Boo-hoo-hooooo!  I was honoring the will and
determination to find one's own answer.  Call me callous, but I have
no sympathy for a person who comes to the table to play poker, and
doesn't know the rules, only to lose all his money, then whine, how
no one told him the rules.  Ignorance is not an excuse.  Yes, it's a
newbie list, but come prepared to play the linux game: offer
something, i.e. I have a problem with my video, here's my "config
file" and my monitor type etc....  Pertinent info!

NOT, I have a mac, I've tried to install YDL 3.0 now for 8 months and
have no clue why it won't install.  After a month of trying to help
them it turns out they don't have a mac, but a UMAX 600 with a
graphics card that's not supported, a monitor they don't know the
specs too, and a freaking keyboard they bought at a garge sale from a
Croatian who recently emigrated to New Jersey, and is now under the
witnes protection program.

I only rant because I'm tired of the last two months of,
"Boo-hoo-HOOOO, no one tried to help me."  Have you tried google?

how about a search on google limited to the lists?  i.e

imac winning indy 500 site:terrasoftsolutions.com

that way we don't see the same posts about:

I have an Apple II classic, no CDrom, why can't I use the Anaconda
installer GUI to install YDL3.0?  I tried the install text option,
BUT I want the GUI!!!!!  Obviously a joke, but at least you know what
I mean and I don't hurt any specific feelings......

"If you have to ask why, don't reply..........," Norberto Quintanar

--- "David C. Oshel" <grikdog@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:23:37 -0700 (PDT), Norberto Quintanar wrote:
> > There are two types of computer people: 1) Users and 2)
> > Abusers.  Abuser subcategories include hackers, crackers,
> developers,
> > and programers.
>

> A newbie list is where newbies share experiences, good or bad.  In
> the
> long run, this glasnost is the soul of Open Source, and it drives
> excellence.  There'll be friction while everyone is learning.  But.
>
> Not. Entropy.
>
> MHO,
>
> --
> David C. Oshel		dcoshel@pobox.com
> Cedar Rapids, IA	http://www.pobox.com/~dcoshel
> ``Starkle! All-units talk's stopping!'' - The Leewit, as Pul the
> Grik-dog, in James H. Schmitz' _Witches of Karres_

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar