kernel panic on boot

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:10:48 -0400

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003, Shawn Protsman wrote:
> I just reformatted my YD 2.3 installation and installed 3.0.  After
> installation has completed and the computer is rebooted I get the
> following:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb6" or 08:16
>
> I never had this issue with YD 2.3.  Does anyone know what the solution
> may be?
>
> PowerCenter Pro 240
> 64 MBs RAM
> 2 GB UWide SCSI (Mac OS 9)
> 9 GB UWide SCSI (Linux)

I had the same problem w/ my 7300 w/ two UW drives. It turned out that
the ydl3.0 kernel had the driver for my Adaptec UW card compiled as
a module, but the module wasn't loading in time for the kernel to find
the linux drive.

My solution was to recompile the kernel w/ the Adaptec driver included.

Hope this helps.

Tobey Wheelock